The Milton Gazette was published from 1910 until the early 1930s. For the years 1910-1911, the paper was published once a week, on Friday. Few issues of the newspaper for these two years exist, beginning in late 1910 and ending in July 1911.

This book is a compilation of obituaries from the Milton Gazette for these two years. This is the first volume in a series of "Milton Gazette Obituaries." When a word was spelled wrong in the obituaries, the editorial [sic] has been used. Otherwise, the spelling of words and names has been given as in the original issue.

Russell D. James, M.A.

Editor and Publisher

Cantadora Press

Milton, Florida

15 May 2002

Milton Gazette, Friday, August 12, 1910, p. 1


Mr. Robert Stevens, an old citizen of Bagdad, died at his home there Monday night, after an illness of several months' duration. While Mr. Stevens was not a native Floridian, he had made his home here for a number of years and has been identified with several large milling concerns. He has been in declining health for quite a long time and his death, therefore, was not unexpected. All that the best of care and medical science could do was given him and not a wish was ungratified, but the Grim Reaper called him and he paid the debt which is the doom of all humanity.

The remains were laid to rest with Masonic honors in the Bagdad Cemetery Wednesday afternoon. Rev. Dr. C. W. Humphreys, pastor of the Presbyterian church of Milton, conducted the religious services.

Mr. Stevens leaves a wife, two sons and a lot of friends to mourn his loss. The Gazette extends its sincere sympathy to the bereaved family in this their hour of sorrow.

The Stearns & Culver Lumber Col. shut down their large plant for the afternoon in order that the employes [sic], among whom Mr. Stevens had may friends, could attend the funeral.

Milton Gazette, Friday, August 19, 1910, p. 1


Miss Ruth Bowers, youngest child of Mr. And Mrs. Joe Bowers of Bagdad, died of typhoid fever at the home of her sister at Millville, where she had gone on a visit, last Monday morning at 10 o'clock. The remains were brought to her home in Bagdad, from where the funeral took place Wednesday, the interment being in the Bagdad Cemetery.

The deceased is survived in addition to her parents, by two sisters, Misses Shula and Cora, and one brother, Joe Bowers, Jr.

Miss Ruth was a sweet, lovely girl, having just entered that most interesting period in woman's life when--"standing with reluctant feet where the brook and river meet," she has the most roseate vision of life and a happy future.

The stricken family and relatives have the deepest sympathy of a large circle of friends and acquaintances.

Milton Gazette, Friday, August 19, 1910, p. 1


Mrs. Wm. P. Snyder, wife of Mr. Wm. P. Snyder, a valued employe [sic] of Fisher & Hamilton, died last Thursday, August 11, 1910, at the home of her father, Mr. Green B. Hinote, who lives in the Coldwater neighborhood, about eleven miles from town. The remains were laid to rest in the Coldwater Cemetery, Rev. Dr. C. W. Humphrey officiating.

Milton Gazette, Friday, August 19, 1910, p. 1


Mrs. Snyder was the daughter of Mr. G. B. and Frances Hinote, and was born July 6, 1878. She was one of four children, of whom only one survives. Her death occurred August 11, 1910, at the age of 34 years, 1 month, and 5 days.

She was happily married to Mr. Wm. P. Snyder Sept. 26, 1906. Their love for each other was beautiful, and their married life very happy.

About eight years ago she united with the Baptist church, and walked with God till He took her.

Her sweet Christian spirit made her many friends, and she was a lovely daughter, a gentle sister, and a devoted wife.

We tender our deep sympathy to all her loved ones.

C.W. H.

Milton Gazette, Friday, September 16, 1910, p. 1


Mrs. Janie Vann, wife of Mr. J. W. Vann, died at the home of Mr. Ruth Vann Monday at 1 o'clock, after an illness of two weeks of fever. The deceased was twenty-six years old. She leave a husband and one little girl, five years old, other relatives, and many friends and acquaintances to mourn her loss.

Milton Gazette, Friday, September 16, 1910, p. 1


Mr. George H. Leonard of Mobile, Ala., who came over here recently on account of his bad health, died last Sunday morning at 1 o'clock at the home of his wife's mother, Mrs. Martha McCombs. He was thirty-eight years of age. The remains were laid at rest in the Milton Cemetery Monday morning at 10 o'clock. He leaves a wife and four children to mourn his loss.

Milton Gazette, Friday, October 28, 1910, p. 1


Mrs. Louise Johnson, relict of the late Col. J. L. Johnson, died at the home of her son, Mr. Frank Johnson at Molino, Escambia County, Sunday, October 23, 1910, at 3:30 p.m. The remains were brought to Milton Tuesday morning and laid at rest in the Milton Cemetery, where many friends and acquaintances gathered to pay their last respects to the memory of the departed.

Mrs. Johnson was a resident of this county ad had spent the greater portion of her life here. This venerable and much loved lady had reached the octogenarian line, being eighty years of age when she laid aside the burdens of the mortal an assumed the robes of immortality, joining that silent and innumerable caravan from whence no traveler returns.

Mrs. Johnson leaves two children, Messrs. Frank and Fred Johnson, both of Molino, several grandchildren and a host of friends to mourn her loss. Mrs. Caulkins and Mrs. John G. Ward of Pensacola, accompanied the remains.

Milton Gazette, Friday, November 11, 1910, p. 1


Mr. D. P. Johnson Passed Away in Pensacola Last Tuesday

The many friends in Milton of Mr. D. P. Johnson were pained to hear of his death, which took place at his home, 807 Reus street, Pensacola, at an early hour Tuesday morning. Mr. Johnson was a native of Milton and had scores of friends here. About two years ago he removed to Montgomery, Ala. with his family, and engaged in the retail grocery business, in which he was engaged up to the time of his death as above stated.

Mr. Johnson had reached the age of fifty-nine years. He had been in ill health for some time but his death was unlooked for. Shortly before he breathed his last he became violently ill, and in spite of all that human hands could do to relieve his sufferings, he expired. The day previous to his death he was engaged in his usual duties.

He leaves a widow and five children--one daughter, Miss Estelle, and four sons, Ruby E., Hazel D., of Milton, Jewel and G. G., and three grandchildren, besides many friends and acquaintances to mourn his loss.

The remains were interred in St. Michael's Cemetery, Pensacola, yesterday (Thursday) afternoon. Quite a number of old friends of the deceased and family attended the funeral services at the house and interment at the cemetery.

Milton Gazette, November 18, 1910, p. 1


Mr. John W. Pendleton, an old resident of Milton, died at his home here about 7 o'clock Tuesday night, November 15, 1910. He had been in bad health for some time and his death was not unexpected. His remains were laid at rest in the Milton Cemetery Wednesday afternoon at 3 o'clock, a large number of friends being in attendance to pay their last respects. He leaves a number of relatives to mourn his loss.

Milton Gazette, Friday, December 9, 1910, p. 1


Felix Corbin, a former resident of this city, was shot and killed by unknown parties last Tuesday evening about 7 o'clock in front of the store of Mr. C. F. Clark. Frank M. Penton of Milton, and W. H. Simmons, of Alabama, have been arrested accused of the killing. A preliminary examination is in progress as we go to press, which will, doubtless, throw some light on this unfortunate affair. As this matter is in the hands of the law, The Gazette deems it unwise and improper to publish any of the many rumors in circulation.

Milton Gazette, Friday, December 16, 1910, p. 4


The Gazette's correspondent at Corbett sends us the following:

"Hiram H. Thomkins died at his home, twelve miles north of Milton, December 5, 1910. Mr. Thomkins was in his seventy-eighth year. He was an old Confederate soldier, and was a consistent member of Baptist Church and had been for a number of years. He leaves a host of relatives and friends to mourn his loss. He was loved by all who knew him. He had been in ill health for almost six months. He was born and reared in Georgia, and came to this county in 1879, and has been here ever since. He was placed at rest in the family cemetery December 6, Rev. E. T. Pitts conducting the services. A large concourse of friends were in attendance to pay their last respects at the grave. We extend our condolence to the bereaved, and may God bless and comfort them."


Milton Gazette, December 16, 1910, p. 4


A friend of the family of Mrs. Almira Dickerson, a notice of whose death was given in our last issue, contributed for The Gazette the following short sketch of the life and death of this most estimable lady:

"Mrs. Almira Dickerson was a daughter of Mr. And Mrs. Henry Snyder of Michigan. She was born March 8, 1851. About 39 years ago she was happily united in marriage to Mr. Jos. H. Dickerson. They spent many happy years of their life together in their married state. To them one child was born, Mr. T. G. Dickerson, of Dickerson City, Florida. The mother and son were happy in each other's love, and her death makes a great breech in his otherwise happy home. The years of her widowhood were spent in her native State until she came South to live with her son, and the two became unusually devoted to each other. His welfare was the ruling aspiration of her heart. It seems at once a sad and happy incident that she was called away suddenly--sad, in that the blow was unexpected, and therefore the more keenly felt; happy, in that she was spared from almost all suffering and anxiety, and enjoyed the happiness of her home until the last moment of her life.

"Mrs. Dickerson never identified herself with any church, but was a Presbyterian in training, sympathy, and spiritual interest. One of the sweetest consolation of the old religion is that a covenant-keeping God keeps watch over those who were reared in His nurture and admiration and for the sake of His Son gathers them along with their pious forefathers into His everlasting house.

"Mrs. Dickerson is survived by two brothers, who live at Grand Rapids, Mich. The last one of the old family will soon cross over the river and, we trust, rest eternally together in the great family of the Redeemer.

"There is no better place than at the bier of a loving mother, and no better time then while her remains lie before us, for us t dedicate our lives to the God of our fathers, and to Him, by whom our fathers have entered into eternal rest; and there is no counsel that a loving mother would prefer to be delivered in her name at her grave than to prepare to meet her in heaven.

"In the name of all good people, and especially of all God's children, we extend to the afflicted family our heartfelt sympathy, and wish upon them His richest blessing."


Milton Gazette, December 23, 1910, p. 1


At her home, near Chumuckla, December 13, Mrs. Alreada Bailey, wife of John A. Bailey, after a few hours illness. She was born and raised at Stockton, Ala., and was the daughter of Christian parents. She joined the M. E. Church in her youth; was a devoted and loving wife and was loved by all who knew her. She leaves a husband and a little boy four years old and many relatives and friends to mourn her loss. She would have been thirty years ld March 24th next. She was married at Stockton, Ala., April 12, 1903, to John A. Bailey.

Milton Gazette, December 23, 1910, p. 1


The many friends of Capt. Gustav Axelsen, who was well known and loved by hosts of friends both in Milton and all this part of the country, were shocked to hear of his untimely death by being swept overboard from the schooner Doris, of which he was master, during the prevalence of a heavy storm on the Gulf of Mexico about December 10. His sad death is sincerely regretted here, further particulars of which we have not space to give this week. He is survived by his wife, who resides in Pensacola, and a number of other relatives.

Milton Gazette, Friday, January, 1911, p. 1


News has been received here that John Walling, a son of Mr. C. C. Walling, had been accidentally killed in a saw ill at Cravens, La. The mill company wired his people of the accident. The remains were shipped to his home in the country for interment in the family burying-ground.

Milton Gazette, Friday, January 27, 1911, p. 1


Dr. Edwards, an old resident of Santa Rosa County, died at Milligan Tuesday night after an illness of a few days. He was well known here and was at one time pastor of the Baptist Church in this city. He was buried at Milligan Thursday afternoon. Deceased was about 70 years old. He leaves a large number of relatives and friends to mourn his loss.

Milton Gazette, Friday, February 2, 1911, p. 1


Mr. Robert P. Fleming, an old and well-known citizen of Milton and Santa Rosa County, and a Confederate Veteran, died at the home of his daughter Mrs. Arthur Livingston, 116 West Romana Street, Pensacola, Tuesday, January 31, 1911. The remains were brought here Wednesday morning and taken to the home of Mrs. Sid Crain, where the funeral services were held, Rev. Dr. Humphreys, an old Confederate Veteran, conducting the services. The interment was made in the Milton Cemetery, the Veterans taking charge of the arrangements.

Milton Gazette, Friday, February 2, 1911, p. 1


The death of John L. Creary, 35 years of age, and a son of W. F. Creary, which occurred at 7:30 Friday morning, February [January] 27, 1911, at his home in De Funiak Springs, is deeply and sincerely regretted by a host of friends in Pensacola by whom he was held in the greatest esteem. The Creary family has for many years been well known in West Florida. Mr. Creary was a mechanic of great ability, being employed at the local navy yard for some time, but continued ill health caused him to leave the government service and go to De Funiak to make his home. John L. Creary was married in Pensacola, on November 15, 1899, to Miss Laura Wood, daughter of Mr. John Wood. He is survived by his wife, a little daughter aged two years, his father and a number of other relatives. The funeral took place Saturday afternoon in St. John's Cemetery - Pensacola Journal

The people of Milton and Bagdad will be pained to hear of the above. John Creary was a Santa Rosa boy. He and the publisher of this paper were raised and attended school together. Our sympathy goes out to the family.

Milton Gazette, Friday, February 17, 1911, p. 1


A dark gloom was cast over the home of Mr. John Balish, of Trout Bayou, last Sunday evening, Feb. 5, when his wife departed from this world to the bright beyond. She leaves a husband and seven small children to mourn her loss. The friends and relatives of the bereaved husband sympathizes with him his great loss.


Milton Gazette, Friday, February 24, 1911, p. 1


The many friends of Mr. And Mrs. J. P. Morris, of Bagdad, sympathize deeply with them in the loss of their sweet little baby about three months old, which died at heir home last Sunday morning, February 19. The remains were laid at rest in the Bagdad Cemetery Monday, many friends and acquaintances attesting their sympathy by their attendance at the last sad rites.

Milton Gazette, Friday, April 14, 1911, p. 1


Last Thursday morning, April 6, 1911, Mrs. Annie Whitmire, wife of Mr. L. L. Whitmire, died at their home at Pea Ridge, after an illness covering a number of years, having reach the age of fifty-eight years. The remains were laid at rest in the Milton Cemetery Friday afternoon, Rev. Dr. C. W. Humphrey conducting the funeral services. Mrs. Whitmire lived all her life in Santa Rosa county and was a member of one of the old families. She leaves her husband, one daughter and a number of relatives and friends to mourn her loss.

Milton Gazette, Friday, April 28, 1911, p. 1


Kage Adams, a farmer living near Holt, was shot from ambush last Saturday night. Sheriff Collins went to the scene early Sunday morning and empanelled a jury to investigate the matter, but there was no evidence to show who did the killing. The deceased was a life-long citizen of Santa Rosa county. He had been to Holt after some provisions and was killed on the way home. The supposition of a great many is that the killing was the outcome of an old feud.

Milton Gazette, Friday, April 28, 1911, p. 1


Mrs. Savina Layfield, an old resident of Milton, died at the home of her son, in this city, Monday night. Mrs. Layfield had reached the age of about eighty years, and her death did not come as a surprise. She leaves a large number of relatives and friends to mourn her loss.

Milton Gazette, Friday, May 12, 1911, p. 1


Mr. Geo. Stokes, of Milton, who underwent an operation last Sunday at the Pensacola Sanitarium, expired yesterday afternoon at 5:30 o'clock, says the Journal. He is survived by his wife, five sons, four daughters, two sisters, Mrs. Chas. Hurd and Mrs. William McGuire of Pensacola; three brothers and several other relatives in Pensacola and Milton. Mr. Stokes has been ill but a short while, and his death will come as a shock to the many who know him. He was prominently connected in Milton and had many friends in Pensacola. The funeral services were held in Milton.

Milton Gazette, Friday, May 26, 1911, p. 1


News reached here last Wednesday of the death of Mr. M. K. Huggins at Montgomery, Ala., where he had gone to undergo an operation for appendicitis. Mr. Huggins is a brother-in-law of Messrs. J. H., H. C. and S. G. Collins of this city.

Milton Gazette, Friday, June 2, 1911, p. 1


Mr. L. Rosenhouse, who was in the furniture business here, died at Hot Springs, Ark., last Monday, to which place he had gone to take the baths for rheumatism. The remains were shipped to Pensacola, where he was buried in the Jewish Cemetery Thursday morning. The deceased is survived by a wife and five children. He was about 35 years of age.

Milton Gazette, Friday, June 23, 1911, p. 4


Mrs. R. E. Peterson and Miss Mabel McDougal both received telegrams Saturday morning last from Atlanta, Ga., announcing the sad news of the death in that city of 2 a.m. of Miss Kate Ollinger. Our whole community was shocked and grieved on receipt of the news. Miss Kate was much loved and respected here. She was the daughter of the late Joseph Ollinger, who was at one time a prominent and influential citizen of Milton, and Miss Kate spent much of her girlhood here in Pensacola, where she has numerous friends by reason of her frequent visits.

Milton Gazette, Friday, June 30, 1911, p. 1


Mrs. Gray, wife of John Gray of Bagdad, died Saturday morning at 10 o'clock. She had been in bad health for a long time. The deceased had lived in Bagdad for years and years, and was held in high esteem by all. She leaves three sons and one daughter to mourn her loss. The remains were interred in the Bagdad Cemetery Sunday afternoon, June 25, 1911. The Gazette tenders its deepest sympathy to the bereaved family in their hour of distress and grief. The funeral services were conducted by Rev. Dr. C. W. Humphreys.

Milton Gazette, Friday, June 14, 1911, p. 1


Died Suddenly Near Milton, Last Monday of Acute Indestion [sic] Remains Sent to Georgia

Mr. A. T. Barber died at his home, near this city, last Monday. He was ill for only a very short time, being taken with a severe attack of acute indigestion. Mr. Barber came to this country about four years ago from Irvin County, Georgia. He was engaged in the turpentine business here, being connected with the firm of Barber Bros. & Co. and the Barber Turpentine Company. He leaves a wife and children and a host of friends to mourn his loss. The remains were shipped to Georgia Tuesday for interment.

Milton Gazette, Friday, July 21, 1911, p. 1


George E. Carroll and Little Son Struck by Lightning and

Instantly Killed

One of the saddest tragedies that has occurred in this vicinity in many a day happened last Friday morning about 11 o'clock, when the lives of Mr. George Edward Carroll and his little son, John Mack Carroll, were snuffed out in the twinkling of an eye by a bolt of lightning. They had sought shelter from a passing shower under an old skiff boat at what is known as the old Quinn Landing on Quinn Bayou. When the bolt of lightning hit the upturned boat it killed them both instantly. The deceased leaves a wife and five children, a mother, father, three brothers, and two sisters, and a host of friends to mourn this double loss.

The funeral took place Saturday afternoon at 4 o'clock in the Milton Cemetery, both being interred in the same grave. Rev. Dr. Humphreys conducted the ceremonies.